Monday, September 28, 2009

Jasminum Sambac A.K.A Melor

Well, we were there during Hari Raya. Melor is my husband's hometown, around 15KM from Kota Bharu. But it's not the town that excites me to write something about Melor.

Melor (Jasmine/Melati) is a white flower, commonly found here in Malaysia. I do not like the smell, and it's irritating when dear husband bought a Jasmine scented car perfume for us.

He doesn't like it either.

But his excuse is, it reminds him of his grandmother, or fondly known as Mok Muji (and her birth cert/IC spells her name as Mek Muji). She loves the smell of jasmine, it sorts of rhymed her life, loving Melor and staying in Melor.
Our Dear Mok Muji is about 2-3 years to reach 100 years of age. She can't walk, since 9 years ago after she fell in bathroom. A very nice lady, fair complexion, petite and skinny, with heavy Kelantanese accent. But what amaze me is her ability to remember things, almost everything.

I told her that we stayed in an apartment, 6th floor like 5 years ago, and then when we moved to 11th floor 4 years ago, my MIL came to Penang to help. So indirectly she needs to inform her mother that she'll not be around (my MIL takes care of her).

So each time I went to her house (which is a 5 meter neighbour of my in law's) she'll ask whether we still live in Sungai Ara, and specifically mentioning 11th floor.

Tell her anything, and she'll remember it; even my siblings, and their whereabouts, how much does it cost for an airplane ticket 50 years ago compared to now, detail of our auntie's old house in Balik Pulau (color, how many rooms, type of trees); I bet my MIL doesn't remember that.

Her secret? Hah, I don't know.

Only that she has never skipped her Solat, even with her condition (tak boleh jalan and all), always do puasa sunat every Monday and Thursday (not to mention she started her puasa 6 on the 2nd day of raya and on the 8th day, baru sambung raya balik), Solat malam, baca quran, berzikir, and tak mengumpat.

I am 29 years old, and puasa tahun lepas pun belum habis ganti, berfidyah bagai.

So, kalau nak hati terang, good memories, tak nyanyok, u guys know what to do rite?

2 comments:

ninaC said...

tok wan aku, lived until he was 107years old, and he can actually tell every story happens all the way back, very well.
kalau pejabat tanah nak tanya apa2, pasak tanah ke, nih kubur sape ke dekat area kampung dia, semua tanya dia.

dia kata, rahsia untuk tak nyanyuk, bila tgh dok saja2, idle time, dalam hati ulang allah, all the time.

boleh ke buat?

Arisy said...

tu la.. boleh ke buat?